You have an older home.
Most wires in your home have a protective covering, or insulation, which is designed to protect the wire from arcing when touched. As your home ages, wire insulation may become frayed, cut, or burned. Electrical wires without completely intact insulation are extremely dangerous and could result in fires or electrical shock. Other hazards include wire splices not enclosed in junction boxes or aluminum wiring which has anodized.
(The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends an electrical inspection of your home every 10 to 40 years. Many older homes were built when the electrical demand was not what it is today. Your state-of-the-art appliances and electronic systems may be overloading your home’s electric system.)
You experience buzzing or charred outlets and switches.
Outlets and switches should never buzz, and their face or cover plate should never be hot to the touch. If either is present in your home, it is a clear warning sign. These signs often indicate a faulty device, loose wiring, or arching between the wire conductors and the device, box, or cover plate. Charred devices should be inspected immediately. It is normal for dimmer switches and their cover plates to be warm, but they should not be hot.
You experience frequent breaker trips.
It’s perfectly normal to go years without having to reset a tripped breaker or replace a blown fuse. If you have a circuit that trips often, there’s a good chance that it is overloaded. There could also be a short or fault somewhere in the circuit, or on any devices connected to the circuit.
You experience dimming or flickering lights.
Dimming and/or flickering lights is another common example of circuit overload or wiring problems. Flickering lights can result from a damaged fixture wire, a problem with the switch, or a fault somewhere in the circuit. In older homes with 60-amp service panels (breaker boxes), underpowered fixtures and appliances may indicate that the electrical system is being overtaxed and should be upgraded.
What should you do if you observe any of the above conditions?
Do not touch exposed wires or observed problem(s).
If possible de-energize the wire by turning off power at the switch, circuit breaker, or fuse.
Call Branham Electric to schedule an electrical inspection of your home today! (314)426-3900