In general, fires can develop extremely quickly, cause catastrophic damage to your home and rapidly overwhelm you and your family. In particular, deadly electrical fires arise from the following problems:
- Improperly fitted outlets that can overheat when used excessively
- Poorly wired connections that can spark or overheat
- Loose bulbs that short circuit
- Overuse of a single extension cords or the use of one on a permanent basis
- Installation of the wrong-sized or non-recommended bulb in a light fixture
- Non-maintenance of smoke detectors
Electrical shocks are not always fatal. Just think of the mild sensation you feel when you rub your feet on the carpet and then touch another person. It is mildly unpleasant but not at all dangerous. The electrical current that runs into your house is another matter altogether as it can kill you or a loved one in an instant. Here are some problem areas that any prudent homeowner should be aware of:
- Unused and uncovered outlets that are accessible to small children
- Removal of the ground pin from any electrical cord, appliance or other electrically operated device – this is a sure fire recipe for disaster.
- Use of non-GFIC in area where water is routinely encountered
- Jury-rigged wiring of appliances or outlets
The Bottom Line
Electrical and fire codes have been established for good reason; to protect you, your loved ones and anyone else who uses the electrical devices in your home. Removing or altering hem is just plain stupid. If you become aware of any of these situations in your own home or anywhere else, you have an obligation to fix the situation or to inform the responsible parties. An inspection by a licensed electrician is always the best way to ensure that your home is as safe and secure as can be.
If you are ever in need of an experienced, licensed electrician in St Louis, try the pros at Branham Electric. They can be reached by phone 24/7 at (636) 926 – 2001 or via email at https://branhamelectric.com/contact-us.